(below is taken from David’s blog posting, June 3, 2014)
For those just joining us, today we re-start the TWO-YEAR DAILY BLOG! My name is David Charles Mainse, born August 13th 1936, in Quebec, Canada. If you’re new to this blog and just might possibly be interested in finding out more, you can check me out here.
So, I’m now 77 years old. This new two-year plan shows that I’m an incurable optimist (because in 2012, the doctors gave me two years to live). You can tell a lot about the company you’re keeping when you are sharing a coffee. Someone may say, “Is there any milk in that jug?” The one who says “pass the cream please” is me! I’m not a total Pollyanna clone, but I am an optimist. I will call it like I see it, honestly and factually. I may be wrong from time to time. Only God is always right, and I am definitely one of His imperfect children. It’s not God’s fault that I come short of His high standards. According to surveys, the #2 most recognized song in the world is “Amazing Grace.” #1 is “Happy Birthday”. The composer of “Amazing Grace” used the words, “that saved a wretch like me.” Not too complimentary. But, the song is hopeful. The blind can see and the lost are found. I believe that I fit in there somewhere.
Yesterday was the 52nd birthday of the ministry of Crossroads. I’m excited to report that it is “HAPPY!” I’m honoured, along with my wife Norma-Jean, to be the Founders. I can report good things about Crossroads. I expect to report in this blog, God willing, from time to time on the vision, the persons God has called to lead, and the results of the Good works of a ministry that is supported by God’s people. “Happy Birthday, God bless you!!!”
Now, here’s the plan for this blog:
- Beginning today, God willing, I’ll be starting our new, fresh bread, two-year journey through the WORLD’S OLDEST BOOK, STILL THE WORLD’S BEST-SELLER – – THE BIBLE. We will start in the New Testament, go to the Old Testament, back to the New and then back again to the Old. To start, I suggest joining me in reading St. Matthews Gospel chapters 1 & 2… a good place to start, THE CHRISTMAS STORY. In the 1970s, I led a “Through-the-Bible-in-One-Year” program. Unfortunately, when we reached Leviticus, Numbers or Deuteronomy, more than half dropped out! After much prayer, I believe I heard from God to extend the reading to two years. This change, along with the New to the Old and back again approach, reversed the drop-out rate. I knew because new materials needed to be ordered in order to continue with the program.
- I read the suggested chapters at 4:00 am. At approximately 4:30 am, I’ll spend time in prayer. This early start has been a habit of mine, most days, since I turned 40.
- Around 5:00 am, I am usually at my computer keyboard where I expect to write my blog (or re-edit my original writing from our first two-year journey). First, I’ll write “100 Words” (forgive me in advance as I usually go over 100 words) on the theme of the key verse which I’ve chosen from the reading for the day. Second, I’ll include a “Prayer for Today” that we can pray together. Then third, I’ll probably include another section called “100 Personal Words,” which might be a personal meditation or a story from my life.
- My son Ron will format the blog in advance, and add a photo(s), taken by my other son Reynold, who is a professional photographer, as well as an ordained minister. He has spent much time in the lands of the Bible shooting photos for the blog. His website is www.reynoldmainse.com.
- At 6:00 am, the day’s “Fresh Bread” comes out of the oven and is delivered from my place to yours.
- Each day, comments and replies to my post are encouraged (I do read all the comments, although I don’t usually get to personally reply…sorry about that!).
- NOTE: You can sign up for the daily email version of my blog by completing the subscription info on the home page at www.100words.ca. If for any reason it does not appear in your inbox, sign up again.
Yours for thinking God’s thoughts as we read thoroughly His Words,